American Airlines Reduced Mileage Awards Sweet Spots (Dec-Jan)
One of the more underutilized, or less known, perks of the American Airlines credit cards is the American Airlines reduced mileage awards calendar. American Airlines lists a whole bunch of airports in 3 month segments that are bookable for 1,000-7,500 miles less. The discount depends on which co-branded card you have and the distance flown. Let’s take a look at the program and some sweet spots on the current chart.
Remember that fall travel is still very up in the air so you may want to skip booking until you know for sure that you will take the trip. If have top tier status then you can book and have free cancellations. Remember that American Airlines has free cancellations starting July 1st but they will need to be at least 60 days out. That would not be the case for some of these bookings.
American Airlines Reduced Mileage Awards Program
The American Airlines reduced mileage awards program is a discount award system for American Airlines credit card holders. Depending on which cards you have you get 1,000-7,500 miles off round trip tickets. You can do one way flights for half the discount as well.
To be able to book the flights you need to find saver award availability to the destination airport or departure airport.
Which Cards Earn Provide A Discount?
Here is a list of the cards that receive a discount of 7,500 miles for flights over 500 miles or 2,000 miles for flights of less than 500 miles:
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® MasterCard®
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Select MasterCard®
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ MasterCard®
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Silver World Elite MasterCard®
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® MasterCard®
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Red MasterCard®
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Business MasterCard®
Here is a list of the cards that get a discount of 5,000 miles for flights of over 500 miles or 1,000 miles for flights of less than 500 miles:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold MasterCard®
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Blue MasterCard®
American Airlines Reduced Mileage Awards Booking Process
Once you find the airport on the list you are interested in, and find a saver award, you have to call 800-882-8880 to book the discount flight. They will waive the phone fee since these are not bookable online.
Remember to have your discount code ready:
December-January Award Sweet Spots
After taking a quick peak at the American Airlines reduced mileage awards calendar I found a couple of destinations of interest:
- Aspen, Colorado – December, January – Any ski bums out there?
- Burbank, California – January – I know a lot of LA locals will be able to take advantage of this one.
- Cincinnati/Dayton/Cleveland, Ohio – January – There is a large group of miles and points fanatics in Ohio and their airports are not cheap. Hopefully they can use this on some departure bookings.
- Fort Walton Beach, Florida – January – I know people love the Destin area.
- Gulfport / Biloxi, Mississippi – December, January – for the gamblers out there.
- Hilton Head Island, South Carolina – December, January – should be able to still hit the links.
- Jackson Hole, Wyoming – December, January – Check out where the celebs vacation.
- Key West, Florida – December, January – The tough part will be finding saver space.
- Knoxville, Tennessee – December, January – rent a cabin in the mountains and sit by the fire.
- Portland, Maine – January – Check out a beer lovers paradise.
- Reno, Nevada – January – For the gamblers or anyone that wants to check out the beauty of Lake Tahoe without the crowds.
- Savannah, Georgia – December, January – Check out Savannah’s beauty without all the heat.
- Vail, Colorado – December, January – Options between here and Aspen.
- West Palm Beach, Florida – January – Walk the beach without all the humidity.
The list is pretty extensive overall this time around so be sure to check it out.
I think many of us, myself included, forget about this amazing offer for American Airlines cardholders. Having to find saver awards makes it a tall task at times, and needing to call in to book the trip is a pain but I think the juice is worth the squeeze. Make sure you check online for saver award space before calling in and remember to have that discount code ready!