American Airlines Reduced Mileage Awards Sweet Spots
One of the more underutilized, or less known, perks of the American Airlines credit cards is the American Airlines reduced mileage awards calendar. American Airlines lists a whole bunch of airports in 3 month segments that are bookable for 1,000-7,500 miles less. The discount depends on which co-branded card you have and the distance flown. Let’s take a look at the program and some sweet spots on the current chart.
American Airlines Reduced Mileage Awards Program
The American Airlines reduced mileage awards program is a discount award system for American Airlines credit card holders. Depending on which cards you have you get 1,000-7,500 miles off round trip tickets. You can do one way flights for half the discount as well.
To be able to book the flights you need to find saver award availability to the destination airport or departure airport.
Which Cards Earn Provide A Discount?
Here is a list of the cards that receive a discount of 7,500 miles for flights over 500 miles or 2,000 miles for flights of less than 500 miles:
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® MasterCard®
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Select MasterCard®
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite MasterCard®
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Silver World Elite MasterCard®
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® MasterCard®
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Red MasterCard®
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Business MasterCard®
Here is a list of the cards that get a discount of 5,000 miles for flights of over 500 miles or 1,000 miles for flights of less than 500 miles:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold MasterCard®
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Blue MasterCard®
American Airlines Reduced Mileage Awards Booking Process
Once you find the airport on the list you are interested in, and find a saver award, you have to call 800-882-8880 to book the discount flight. They will waive the phone fee since these are not bookable online.
Remember to have your discount code ready:
June-July Award Sweet Spots
After taking a quick peak at the American Airlines reduced mileage awards calendar I found a couple of destinations of interest:
- Asheville, NC – June, July – A craft beer paradise.
- Atlanta, GA – July – Great for the many readers with ATL as their base.
- Austin, TX – June, July – A cool bar scene with great live music. But it may be too hot for you to handle.
- Baltimore, Maryland – June, July – another option to hit up the Washington DC area or head to the Maryland shore for unlimited golf.
- Dayton, OH – June, July- Good for people based in the Cincinnati area where prices are always high.
- Denver, CO – April – Another craft beer paradise and just a cool city overall.
- Detroit, MI – July – Giving some hometown love. Hopefully I can take advantage as a departing airport.
- Fort Lauderdale, FL – June, July- Great beach vacation option.
- Fort Myers, FL – July – Hit up the beaches or Hyatt Regency Coconut Point.
- Kansas City, MO – June, July – Get some world famous BBQ.
- Knoxville, TN – June, July – rent a cabin in the mountains and sit by the fire.
- Las Vegas, NV – June, July – Vegas is gonna be a party scene this summer if that is what you are looking for.
- Madison, WI – June, July – A very cool college town set right on a lake.
- Nashville, TN – June, July – Check out the Honky Tonk scene.
- New Orleans, LA – June, July – Nola baby!
- Orlando, FL – June, July – If you can brave the summer heat at the parks.
- Reno, NV – June – For the gamblers or anyone that wants to check out the beauty of Lake Tahoe without the crowds.
- Salt Lake City, UT – April – A big hub airport that could help with international positioning.
- San Antonio, TX – June, July – Check out the amazing river walk area.
- San Francisco, CA – June, July – Hit up gorgeous bay area.
- Santa Barbara, CA – June, July – Alternative to LAX.
- West Palm Beach, FL – June, July – Another popular beach area.
The list is pretty extensive overall this time around so be sure to check it out.
I think many of us, myself included, forget about this amazing offer for American Airlines cardholders. Having to find saver awards makes it a tall task at times, and needing to call in to book the trip is a pain but I think the juice is worth the squeeze. Make sure you check online for saver award space before calling in and remember to have that discount code ready!