JetBlue Wants to Reinvent Economy Class for Transatlantic Flights
JetBlue has revealed details of what traveling in coach across the Atlantic will look like, once the airline starts flying to Europe. When JetBlue launches flights to London later this year, customers can expect a whole new level of service and comfort, to go along with low fares.
“From generous personal space, to our innovative build-your-own dining concept, every detail has been thoughtfully designed and will be made even better with the attentive service standards that a single-aisle aircraft allows,” said Jayne O’Brien, head of marketing and loyalty, JetBlue. “We know all too well the pain points of international flying – the dreaded center section, the ‘choice’ of assembly-line chicken or beef, and the lack of connectivity. JetBlue is ready to change all that with our take on transatlantic travel where you are well taken care of and fully connected if you want to be.”
JetBlue’s transatlantic flights will feature its newest innovation. You will be able to build your own meal designed by the New York-based restaurant group, Dig. In addition to the new complimentary meal service, JetBlue customers can enjoy the same spacious seating the airline has become known for in the U.S., Caribbean and Latin America. JetBlue’s transatlantic flights will feature the most legroom in coach and seats that are wider than those found on most wide-body aircraft.
Rethink Airplane Food
JetBlue has partnered with Dig to bring its signature build-your-own dining concept to tray tables at 35,000 feet – JetBlue’s first complimentary meal in core. Unlike the traditional meals being served on other airlines today, JetBlue’s transatlantic food offering will put the customer in control, allowing them to customize their own meal right on their seatback screen.
Known for its vegetable-forward options, the Dig menu will feature a seasonal selection of proteins, vegetables and grains mindfully sourced in part from minority and women-run farms, as well as Dig’s own farm, Dig Acres. Customers will have the option to choose one of three main selections including a protein or vegetable that comes with a base, and two out of three hot and chilled side options. Menu items will feature hearty offerings, such as roasted chicken thigh over a base of brown rice with herbs and spiced eggplant over coconut cauliflower quinoa, with sides including Dig’s beloved mac and cheese and a mixed heirloom tomato salad sourced directly from Dig Acres in upstate New York. For morning departures, the menu will include a mix of sweet and savory breakfast dishes, including a mixed berry bread pudding and citrus salad with local honey.
Additional food and beverage offerings for core customers will include:
- Specially designed onboard Pantry with a self-serve grab & go snack basket for customers to enjoy throughout their flight.
- Complimentary soft drinks, coffee, tea, beer, wine and liquor.
- A dessert for a sweet treat post-meal, and a light bite prior to arrival.
Boutique-Style Service with More Personal Space
JetBlue teamed with Airbus to be the global launch partner for the all-new Airspace by Airbus interior. Pairing the comfort of a wide-body with the boutique-style service of a single-aisle aircraft, the airline’s transatlantic core experience will offer the most legroom in coach at 32 inches, with spacious Collins Meridian seats.
Here’s what you can expect:
- 114 seats with an expanded width of 18.4 inches – wider than most seats found on wide-body aircraft today – offering customers more space and comfort in an economy experience than any carrier in the transatlantic market.
- Four rows of Even More® Space seating with up to six inches more legroom.
- Redesigned sidewalls that provide additional shoulder space and larger window bezels for increased spaciousness and better views.
- Enhanced cushion comfort and adjustable headrests with premium Ultraleather®, a softer, more breathable vegan leather material.
- Contoured seatback design at knee level creating additional living space for every customer.
- Custom designed seatback storage with mesh pockets, perfectly sized for water bottles and loose items.
- Easy-to-reach in-seat power, featuring AC and USB-C ports.
Keeping Customers in Both Mint and Core Connected Across the Pond
JetBlue will offer unlimited, free high-speed Wi-Fi on all transatlantic flights, providing customers in both Mint and core with the ability to connect devices and stream, surf, or chat during the entire flight, from gate to gate. Just as in the U.S., JetBlue’s transatlantic customers will be able to enjoy a multi-screen experience with multiple devices connected to Wi-Fi and free seatback entertainment – reflecting how people use technology at home.
JetBlue plans to offer lots of inflight entertainment options, including a curated selection of live TV channels.
- 10.1 inch, 1080P high definition screen at every seat.
- A curated selection of international live TV channels focused on news and sports.
- Robust library of on-demand content including full seasons of shows, hundreds of movies, and premium content from HBO & SHOWTIME.
- Expanded Fly-Fi® connectivity, providing coverage to nearly the entire JetBlue network, including over the Atlantic.
- Multi-screen experience allowing customers to use a range of devices simultaneously, including HD seatback entertainment, just as they would in their living room.
- Picture-in-picture function.
- Enhanced, 3D flight map offering multiple ways to track time to destination.
- Personal handheld device pairing capabilities for use as a remote or gaming controller.
- Personalized digital seatback experience, enabling customers to browse and customize their Dig meal right on their touchscreen.
Making Bold, Brand Statements in Functional Ways
JetBlue is maximizing the Airspace by Airbus interior to create an elevated customer experience throughout the cabin. Every aspect of the aircraft has been meticulously customized to create a perfect environment to deliver JetBlue’s award-winning service.
- Spacious overhead bins for additional carry-on bag capacity.
- Custom LED mood lighting designed to reduce jetlag by creating an ambient environment that supports the body’s natural circadian rhythms.
- Iconic glowing ceiling with a pattern designed exclusively by JetBlue.
- Striking redesigned entry-way featuring bright lights and welcoming residential finishes.
- Four lavatories featuring subway tile patterns – a nod to JetBlue being New York’s Hometown Airline®.
The Transatlantic Mint Experience
JetBlue recently unveiled a reimagined version of its popular Mint experience, which first disrupted the market with a fresh take on premium travel at an “unpremium” price in 2014.
JetBlue’s first complete redesign of Mint will now set a new standard on transatlantic flights, featuring 24 private suites with a sliding door for every Mint customer, a custom-designed seat cushion by Tuft & Needle, and countless design touches that help every customer feel at home in the air.
As part of the refresh, JetBlue will also introduce its latest innovation, the stunning Mint Studio, which will offer the most space in a premium experience from any U.S. airline (b).