Big Changes for Citi Premier Card
- 3 ThankYou Points per $1 spent on supermarket purchases (instead of 1 point per $1 spent)
- 3 ThankYou Points per $1 spent on restaurant purchases, including takeout and curbside pickup (instead of 2 points per $1 spent)
Citi has announced new benefits to ensure that the Citi Premier Card continues to align with the everyday spending habits of customers notably, supermarkets and restaurants (including takeout). But there is good and bad news in this announcement.
As part of their Citi Prestige changes, the bank is adding 3X earning categories, while removing some categories as well. Also points redeemed for airfare, hotels, cruises and car rentals through the ThankYou Travel Center will no longer receive 25% more value. There is also changes for the Citi Preferred Card.
For new cardmembers,will also continue to offer a 60,000 limited time bonus offer after making $4,000 in purchases with the card in the first three months of account opening.
Citi Premier Changes
Beginning August 23, 2020, a variety of new benefits will be introduced to the Citi Premier Card:
- 3X ThankYou points on every $1 spent at supermarkets and restaurants (including takeout).
- $100 off on a single hotel stay of $500 or more (excluding taxes and fees) once per calendar year through Thankyou.com
Then the negative changes:
- Starting August 23, 2020 for new cardmembers and April 10, 2021 for existing cardmembers, the 3X ThankYou point benefit on all other travel such as cruises, toll, and parking and 2X ThankYou point benefit on entertainment will change to 1X ThankYou points on other travel and 1X ThankYou points on entertainment, respectively.
- In addition, as of April 10, 2021, points redeemed for airfare, hotels, cruises and car rentals through the ThankYou Travel Center will no longer receive 25% more value as compared to gift cards.
Cardmembers will continue to earn 3X ThankYou points on every $1 spent on air travel, hotels and gas stations.
Citi Preferred Changes
For existing Citi Preferred cardmembers, the value proposition will evolve to include 2X ThankYou points on cable and popular streaming and 2x on live entertainment in addition to the 2X ThankYou points on restaurants, and 1X ThankYou points on all other purchases as of August 23, 2020.
The 25% bonus on redeemed points was a popular benefit for this card. The card will continue to offer no foreign transaction fees and any annual fees will not change because of these enhancements, Citi says. But not everyone will see these changes as positive.
Let us know how you feel about this changes.