Delta Makes Adjustments to SkyMiles Program
Delta Air Lines announced Wednesday another update to its frequent flyer program after recent changes upset most of its loyal customers.
Delta says it will make it easier for loyalty members to reach Medallion status starting in 2025. It will also make its clubs more accessible to certain customers for longer periods of time. But these “improvements” are based on the drastic changes back in September. Overall this is still bad news, just not as bad.
Delta Air Lines CEO Ed Bastian said he received hundreds of emails after the company announced significant changes to its SkyMiles program last month.
Let’s take a look at what has changed this time.
Updated 2024 MQD Thresholds
Delta has adjusted the number of MQDs that you need to earn in 2023 for each tier, for 2025 status. The adjusted thresholds are:
That is an improvement from last month’s changes. But it is still a net negative, and at least 25% higher that original spending requirements.
MQD Boost for Delta Cardmembers
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum, Platinum Business, Reserve and Reserve Business American Express Card Members will receive an MQD Headstart of $2,500 MQDs for the 2025 Medallion Qualification Year.
If you have more than one of these credit cards, then you get multiple MQD boosts. You can get all four credit cards for the maximum boost of 10,000 MQDs
Delta Sky Club Access
Delta is making changes to Delta Sky Club access policies that will go into effect in 2025.
Multiple visits over a 24 hour period, for example, will now count as a single visit credit. Additionally credit card holders will also receive more visit credits than under the September program modifications.
Starting February 1, 2025, Delta Reserve cardmembers will get 15 complimentary Delta Sky Club visits annually. That’s up from 10 in last month’s changes. If you have the Platinum Card® from American Express or The Business Platinum Card® from American Express you will get 10 Sky Club visits per annually, up from 6 that was announced last month.
Delta Reserve and Amex Platinum consumer and business cardmembers will also have the ability to purchase Club access at a rate of $50 per person per visit after using all of their Club visits.
Million Miler Program Updates
Delta is upleveling Annual Complimentary Status:
- Million Miler Members will receive Annual Complimentary Gold Status.
- 2 Million Miler Members will receive Annual Complimentary Platinum Status.
- 3 and 4 Million Miler Members will receive Annual Complimentary Diamond Status.
- 5+ Million Miler Members will receive an annual invitation for Delta 360° Membership.
Delta has also changed its Complimentary Upgrade priority for 2024, which includes Million Miler Status moving up in the hierarchy for complimentary upgrades to the #3 priority position.
Enhanced Choice Benefits Selections
The airline is debuting and updating 2025 Medallion Year Choice Benefit options for Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members. These offerings will be available for selection beginning February 1, 2024.
- Accelerate your earning for the next Medallion Year with increased amounts of MQDs: $2,000 MQDs for Diamond Members and $1,000 MQDs for Platinum Members.
- In addition to the current Executive Membership option, Diamond Medallion Members may choose unlimited access to Delta Sky Clubs for themselves through an Individual Membership, in exchange for 2 Choice Benefit selections.
- Diamond Medallion Members can select a benefit of 35,000 miles and Platinum Medallion Members can select a benefit of 30,000 miles.
- Delta Travel Voucher amount is increasing to $350 for Diamond Medallion Members and $300 for Platinum Medallion Members. Vouchers can be used toward a Delta flight or a Delta Vacations package.
- Wheels Up flight credit for Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members.
More Rollover MQM Options
While you can continue to earn Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) throughout the rest of 2023 toward your 2024 Medallion Status, MQMs and MQM Rollover will no longer be used next year. Beginning in early 2024, Delta will offer a one-time conversion of your Rollover MQMs or a Medallion Status extension for Members with a significant Rollover MQM balance.
- MQMs in 2023: You will still earn MQMs until December 31, 2023
- One-Time Rollover MQM Conversion: Starting early 2024, you will be able to choose how you would like to convert your Rollover MQMs
- MQDs Reset Annually: MQD spending will continue to reset each calendar year
You will have until December 31, 2024 to decide how you would like your Rollover MQMs converted. You can choose to convert them to MQDs, miles or a combination of both. Members with MQM Rollover balances over 100,000 can also choose to extend their 2024 Medallion Status for 1 year per every 100,000 Rollover MQMs.
Capital One Venture X Business earns 2X miles on everyday purchases plus up to 10X in bonus categories. You also get access to Capital One lounges plus an annual travel credit & anniversary bonus. Right now you earn bonus_miles_full.
Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.