PayPal Has a New Virtual Card
PayPal has launched a new virtual card that you can use to pay for any online purchase with your PayPal account. With this virtual card, called PayPal Key, you can use PayPal for your purchases even when an online merchant doesn’t have a PayPal checkout option. This quarter for example, you can use your Discover card through PayPal for any purchase online and earn 5% cash back.
Update 12/17/20: PayPal Key will no longer accept American Express cards per an email going out to members. The change will go into effect 1/4/21. This was one of the better features of PayPal Key, being able to use an Amex card anywhere Mastercard was accepted.
PayPal Key is a virtual card and a new way to use your PayPal account anywhere cards are accepted online. PayPal Key is a new product and is currently available for select customers only. It will soon be available to others.
Here’s how PayPal Key works:
- Choose a payment method from your PayPal Wallet
- Receive a secure PayPal Key with its own virtual card number, expiration date and security code
- Save the PayPal Key to your browser for faster checkout or use it as you would any card online
- Take PayPal Key anywhere you shop online
PayPal Key is not a credit card so there’s no lengthy application or credit check. Plus, you won’t pay any set-up or usage fees.
You can add your PayPal Key to:
- Web browsers (Google Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer)
- Google Pay
Currently, PayPal Key does not work with Apple Pay or Samsung Pay.
You can use your PayPal Key to:
- Shop at any U.S. and non-U.S. merchant that accepts Mastercard
- Buy over the phone (just give the merchant your virtual card number, expiration date and security code)
- Earn points in the same way you would with any card in your account
You can see more details here.
Some people are already seeing PayPal Key in their accounts. Seems like a useful option when you want to use PayPal for your online purchases. It even gives you the option to use Amex cards for purchases, even when they are not accepted on a site. You can add them to your PayPal account and then pay with PayPal Key, which uses the Mastercard network.