Amex Blue Cash Preferred Updated with New Bonus Categories
The Amex Blue Cash Preferred card has been refreshed with new bonus categories and welcome bonus. The updated Card was inspired by customer insights from a proprietary research study that found 91% of older millennials (ages 31-38) are spending more on their day-to-day compared to 5 years ago, on groceries (67%), streaming (35%) and commuting (34%).
The Card will offer rich new benefits, including more Cash Back for U.S. video and music streaming subscriptions like Hulu, Netflix and Apple Music (industry-leading 6% Cash Back) and transit like parking, tolls, subways and rideshares like Uber & Lyft (3% Cash Back). These benefits, which go into effect on May 9th, come without an increase to the $95 annual fee.
Here’s the full list of benefits:
- 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 in purchases then 1%)
- 6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions [NEW]
- 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations
- 3% Cash Back on transit, including parking, tolls, trains and rideshares [NEW]
- 1% Cash Back on other purchases (Cash Back is earned in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed for a statement credit)
- New eligible Card Members who apply and are approved on or after May 9, 2019, will receive a welcome bonus of $250 back after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of Card Membership (received in the form of a statement credit)
Card Members who applied and were approved for the American Express Blue Cash Preferred Card before May 9, 2019, will continue to receive 3% Cash Back at select U.S. department stores until July 31, 2019.
New eligible Card Members who apply and are approved on or after May 9, 2019, will receive a welcome bonus of $250 back after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of Card Membership (received in the form of a statement credit).
Along with refreshing the benefits on the Blue Cash Preferred Card, American Express is also introducing a new sleek Card design aesthetic, featuring the Centurion iconography. The Card will also have a contactless payment feature designed for speedy, on-the-go transactions at the point of sale.
The Amex Blue Cash Preferred Card is getting two new bonus categories. You earn 6% Cash Back on streaming subscriptions and 3% Cash Back on transit, including parking, tolls, trains and rideshares. The cashback you earn on these categories should be unlimited and not part of the $6,000 cap for the 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets.
On the other hand the card is losing the 3% Cash Back at select U.S. department stores. Current cardholders will continue to have that benefit until July 31, 2019.
Starting on May 9th, the card will also have a new signup bonus of $250 after spending $1,000.
Overall, I see these as positive changes, and the annual fee of $95 is remaining the same. The Blue Cash Preferred website will be refreshed with the new Card details on May 9, 2019.
Let us know what you think.