PSA: Some British Airways Avios Accounts Will Be Down For A Bit
Starting soon, some British Airways Avios accounts will be down for roughly 5 days. We wanted to remind anyone who maybe deleted the emails without reading them. It won’t affect everyone, but you should plan ahead if you will be affected. Here’s what you need to know.
- Accounts affected: Household accounts. If you created a household account to share points with other people, this affects you. British Airways likely sent you several emails over the past month.
- Outage period: November 13 “afternoon” to the “morning” of November 17. My guess is that these are dependent on UK time, but there’s also no specific time mentioned.
What You Can & Can’t Do During This Period
Now, for the bad news. While the affected British Airways Avios / Executive Club accounts are down, you can’t do anything important. That’s the best way to summarize it.
What You Can Do
- Check in online
- Make cash bookings
- Make changes to cash bookings
- Earn Avios (but BA says they will take longer to show up than normal)
- Submit claims for missing Avios or Tier Points after November 17, 2021
What You CAN’T Do
- Access your Executive Club / Avios account online or in the app
- Make bookings using Avios–not online, not on the phone, nothing
- Change, alter, or manage bookings made using Avios — if you have a flight you booked with Avios that departs during November 13-17, 2021 and need to make changes, call British Airways.
- Spend your Avios for anything–onboard snacks, flights, etc.
In short: plan ahead. Household accounts for sharing British Airways Avios will be down from November 13 to 17, 2021. You won’t be able to make or alter bookings using your points or really do anything important–not even access your account. If this affects you, I recommend logging into your account now and taking care of anything necessary before the outage. After November 17, 2021, your account should go back to functioning normally.
Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
I knew about this and I am effected by this outage. It’s 2021 it seems ridiculous that they “need” that long to do maintenance on these accounts. Crazy.