Freedom Flex is Now Live for Applications and Product Change
You probably know by now most details of the new Chase Freedom Flex Card. It was earlier this month, and it has been talked about a lot and for good reason. It is a great no-fee card with a big welcome offer and great earning structure. Chase Freedom Flex is now live for applications and available as an option for product changing other cards. There are some unexpected details however, that contradict what Chase’s media team has been saying so far.
Applying for Freedom Flex
The application page is now live as expected. We already know that this is a new product, so you will be eligible for the welcome bonus, even if you recently received one for the old Freedom card or Freedom Unlimited. The card does fall under the Chase 5/24 rule. Here’s the welcome offer for the Chase Freedom Flex:
- Earn a $200 bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
- Earn 5% cash back on grocery store purchases (not including Target® or Walmart® purchases) on up to $12,000 spent in the first year.same page link to offer details
- 0% intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases. After that, variable APR.
- No annual fee.
- Direct link to offer
Cardmembers earn cash back on:
- 5% on Bonus Quarterly Categories – Each quarter they activate, cardmembers will receive 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases on bonus categories such as grocery stores, select streaming services and many others.
- You could be able to take advantage of Q3 categories if you are product changing from a Freedom card and activate by 9/15.
- Earn 5% in Q4 for qualifying purchases made at Walmart using PayPal.
- 5% on Travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards, including vacation and car rentals.
- 3% on Dining purchases, including take out or eligible delivery services.
- 3% on Drugstore purchases on daily essentials like medicine, toiletries, diapers and other items.
- 1% unlimited cash back on all other purchases.
Mastercard World Elite Benefits
Freedom Flex cardmembers will receive Mastercard’s leading World Elite Benefits including:
- Cell Phone Insurance – Up to $800 per claim and $1,000 per year in cell phone protection against theft or damage for phones listed on cardmembers’ monthly bill.
- Lyft – $10 in credit for every five rides taken in a calendar month, automatically applied to the next ride and capped at once per month.
- Boxed – 5% cash rewards on Boxed purchases for use on future purchases.
- ShopRunner – Free membership to receive two-day shipping and free return shipping at over a hundred online retailers.
- Fandango – Double VIP+ points for movie tickets purchased via the Fandango app or Fandango.com, which can be used towards purchasing movie tickets on Fandango or towards streaming movies and TV shows on FandangoNOW.
- Priceless Experiences, offering activities both digitally and in the cities where they are.
Product Change to Freedom Flex
Besides applying for the card, you can also product change from another eligible Chase card. Before the card launched, the Chase media team had said that you would only be able to product change from the old Freedom card. But now we know that’s not true. There are already several data points showing that you can also product change from Sapphire cards and probably from Slate and Freedom Unlimited as well.
Another unexpected detail is that you can actually have more than one Freedom Flex card through product changing other cards. Chase’s media team had said that you could only have one Freedom Flex card.
This is a great new product from Chase and whether you apply or product change to it, I think it is worthwhile having it in your wallet. Freedom was already a great card thanks to its popular rotating 5% categories. But the new Chase Freedom Flex Mastercard has the 5% earning on Bonus Quarterly Categories and much more. You will get 5% on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards and 3% on dining and drugstore purchases. And then there’s the welcome offer, $200 cash and 5% cash back on grocery store purchases for the first year (on up to $12,000). If you get the card today or tomorrow you can also take advantage of Q3 5% categories. Otherwise you will have to wait for Q4.
Don’t forget that the Chase Freedom Unlimited has also been upgraded with new categories. Cardmembers can earn 5% on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards and 3% on dining and drugstore purchases. That is impressive for a no-fee card that also comes with a big welcome bonus.
Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.