Multiple Chase Cards Now Offer Free NEXUS Membership
Several credit cards issued by Chase in the U.S. now offer NEXUS membership as an option for fee reimbursement. This comes as an option alongside Global Entry and TSA PreCheck. Here’s a look at this benefit and cards offering this option.
What is NEXUS?
NEXUS is a cross-border program for those who frequently go between the U.S. and Canada. It costs $50 for a 5-year membership. Interestingly, it includes Global Entry and TSA PreCheck if you are approved for NEXUS, so you basically get all three for a $50 fee.
With NEXUS, you get to skip the line when flying or driving between the U.S. and Canada. Children under 18 need their own NEXUS membership, but their application is free when tacked onto the application of a parent or guardian. Thus, the child will then get NEXUS, Global Entry, and TSA PreCheck all for free when added to a parent/guardian application for NEXUS.
Which Chase Cards Offer NEXUS Fee Reimbursement?
We first saw this with the new Chase Aeroplan Card. Now, other cards offer NEXUS membership as an option for your government program application fee reimbursement.
- Chase Aeroplan Card
- Chase Sapphire Reserve
- Chase United Explorer
- Chase United Quest
- Chase United Club Infinite
Comparing Government “Skip the Line” Programs
Here’s a highlight of some major differences in applying for and using these programs.
- TSA PreCheck allows parents/guardians to bring their kids with them through the line for free, even if the child doesn’t have a membership.
- Global Entry provides TSA PreCheck benefits, along with simplified passport control processes when returning to the U.S. Children must have their own memberships for Global Entry.
- CLEAR is not actually a government program, just to be…clear. It uses biometric data to identify you and allows you to skip the line. However, you’ll still go to the “normal” line at TSA checkpoints if you don’t have TSA PreCheck membership (and it must be noted on your boarding pass). Children under 18 can go through with their parents/guardians for free and without membership.
- NEXUS also gives you Global Entry and TSA PreCheck.
- Global Entry also gives you TSA PreCheck benefits.
- TSA PreCheck doesn’t give you any of the other programs.
- CLEAR doesn’t give you any of the other programs.
It’s nice that some Chase credit cards are now offering NEXUS as an option for fee reimbursement. Given that this can be your cheapest path to membership in multiple programs – plus the child benefits – it’s worth looking into.
If you’re interested in learning more, we also have the following articles:
- The best credit cards that offer Global Entry
- How to enroll for CLEAR
- Reimbursement of CLEAR fee now a perk on the Platinum Card and Business Platinum Card from American Express (enrollment required)