Southwest Updates Its Loyalty Program
Southwest Airlines surprised us today with changes to its Rapid Rewards program. Normally when airlines announce program updates, it means bad news. But in this case Southwest is actually going in the other direction.
The airline is making enhancements that include lowering flight requirements and Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card spend to reach A-List and A-List Preferred tier status faster, a new perk for A-List Preferred members and more. Most of these changes kick in next year, but A-List Preferred Members cn start enjoying their drinks next month.
Let’s take a look at the changes:
- Earn A-List Status Faster: Starting Jan. 1, 2024, Southwest Rapid Rewards Members only need to fly 20 one-way qualifying flights (previously 25) or earn 35,000 tier qualifying points3 to reach A-List status.
- Earn A-List Preferred Status Faster: Starting Jan. 1, 2024, Rapid Rewards Members only need to fly 40 one-way qualifying flights (previously 50) or earn 70,000 tier qualifying points to earn A-List Preferred status.
- Earn Tier Qualifying Points Faster with Southwest Rapid Rewards™ Credit Cards from Chase: Starting Jan. 1, 2024, Rapid Rewards Credit Cardmembers will receive 1,500 tier qualifying points for every $5,000 spent (previously $10,000) on purchases using their Rapid Rewards Premier, Premier Business, Priority, or Performance Business Credit Cards from Chase.
- New Perk Alert—Complimentary Premium Drinks for A-List Preferred Status: Starting Nov. 6, 2023, A-List Preferred Members can receive up to two complimentary premium drinks per flight, added directly to their mobile boarding passes. This applies to flights traveling 176 miles or more. Flights traveling 175 miles or less only serve water.
- Redeem with Cash + Points: Starting in spring of 2024, Rapid Rewards Members will have the option to pay for their flight with a combination of cash and points, starting with as few as 1,000 points.
If you do not have a Rapid Rewards account, you can get started at Southwest.com.
Capital One Venture X Business earns 2X miles on everyday purchases plus up to 10X in bonus categories. You also get access to Capital One lounges plus an annual travel credit & anniversary bonus. Right now you earn bonus_miles_full.
Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.