Amex Green Card Relaunch
The American Express Green Card is now available for applications once again. The card has been refreshed with new benefits and an increased welcome offer. The annual fee also went up. This card was first introduced as “a new kind of money for world travel and entertainment”, 50 years ago. Now let’s take a look at what’s new with this Amex Green Card relaunch.
We had heard rumors about this card relaunch for months and it fell a little short of what was expected.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards Points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first three months.
- Receive up to $150 in statement credits for purchases made directly with Away using your new American Express Green Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer available to new Card Members who apply by January 15th, 2020.
- Shawn’s Referral
Plus, it may be possible to get 45K points and $150 Away credit if you search the card online with a clean browser.
The Amex Green Card now has an annual fee of $150, up from the previous fee of $95.
With the new Green from Amex, Card Members earn 3X Membership Rewards points when they dine out, commute in or travel away. In addition to these enhancements, Card Members will receive a variety of benefits aimed at rewarding their experiences, including:
- 3X Membership Rewards points on travel including transit – such as flights, hotels, tours, car rentals, ride shares, buses, subways, third-party travel websites and amextravel.com
- 3X Membership Rewards points at restaurants worldwide
- Up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year towards purchase of CLEAR membership, which unlocks frictionless experiences at 60+ locations nationwide, including airports, arenas, stadiums and Hertz rental car locations
- Up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year towards purchases with LoungeBuddy to relax at airport lounges around the world – allowing travelers to find and book lounges on their terms
- No foreign transaction fees
Along with refreshing the benefits, American Express unveiled the Card’s new design last month. As part of American Express’ broader efforts to combat marine plastic pollution, Green from Amex is made primarily with reclaimed plastic collected from beaches, islands and coastal communities from Parley for the Oceans. Check out the short video below to see how the design has evolved since the card was first launched.
The company is also redefining membership by adding more Card Member experiences, digital features and benefits that help make financial management more flexible and accessible. Beginning with Green from Amex, Card Members will have digital and lifestyle services including:
- A mobile assistant to book flights or hotels, check rewards balance or ask account questions – all with just a few taps in the American Express App.
- Card Members can easily split the bill with other Venmo or PayPal users, and still earn all the rewards for the purchase. When using Green from Amex for a group expense, Card Members can divide up the total purchase amount and send out the requests, all from the American Express App. When they get paid back, the money will be added to their account with Venmo or PayPal. Enrollment required.
- Payment and purchase flexibility to help Card Members manage their account their way. Card Members can decide if they want to pay in full or carry a balance with interest on eligible charges, up to their Pay Over Time limit. Card Members also have the option to spend beyond their limit while still earning rewards, unlocking more purchase power when they need it. The amount Card Members spend beyond their limit is included in their minimum due each month.
- Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card. Here’s how you can check if you’re not sure. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.
- If you’re an existing American Express customer they will only do a soft pull for new card applications.
- Amex now has a tool that lets you know if you qualify for the welcome offer during the application process.
- American Express has a limit of one approved credit card every 5 days and two approved cards every 90 days. However, the Amex Green Card is a charge card, so you can combine the application with another Amex card.
Although the fee is going up by $55, this upgrade makes the Amex Green Card a good option for your card lineup. This Amex Green Card relaunch didn’t have the 4X gas earning that we had hoped for, but it’s not bad either. If you have never applied for one in the past, you are eligible for this increased offer.
Cardmembers can earn 3X on dining and travel, plus frequent fliers can get up to $300 in credits for CLEAR membership, LoungeBuddy and Away.