Why You Should Avoid The New World of Hyatt Offer & Stick With The Old One
I fell for it. I saw that shiny 60,000 points in big font and got all excited. Then Rohit from our Facebook Group set me straight and showed me the way. You see I got so excited that I didn’t crunch the numbers, rookie mistake. Even though the numbers are higher the old 50K offer is better overall. And it isn’t just because the spend was less either.
Update 2/5/21: It looks like the referral offers have switched over to the 60K offer too.
Crunching the Numbers
Let’s take a look at the 2 offers:
- Earn up to 60,000 Bonus Points
- 30,000 Bonus Points after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening;
- Plus, up to 30,000 more Bonus Points by earning 2 Bonus Points total per $1 spend on purchases that normally earn 1 Bonus Point, on up to $15,000 in the first six months of account opening
- $95 Annual Fee
- Earn up to 50,000 bonus points
- Earn 25,000 Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Earn an additional 25,000 Bonus Points after you spend $6,000 total on purchases within the first 6 months of account opening.
- $95 annual fee
After The Spend Is Complete
Here is what you would have after completing the required spend for the free night certificate ($15,000).
- 60,000 points (30,000 bonus points and $15,000 in spend x 2 points per dollar)
- Category 1-4 free night cert
- 65,000 points at a minimum (50,000 bonus points and 15,000 x 1 on the spend). And it could actually be more since you can earn in the bonus categories on that $15,000 in spend.
- Category 1-4 free night certificate
So you come out (at least) 5,000 points ahead with the old offer plus get the rest of the year to complete the $15,000 in spend versus only 6 months.
How Can You Still Get The Offer?
There may be some old public links floating around but the referral site is still showing the 50K offer. So if you have a player 2 this is the way to go. If not here is Shawn’s Hyatt referral.
I would email the link now in case they change it even if you wanted to wait a few weeks to apply etc. Usually the email gives you some time to use it, even if the offer becomes unavailable after it is sent.
Sometimes the big numbers play with our minds, or at least mine, but always remember to do the math and of course learn from my mistakes. I was excited about the new offer until I actually sat down and crunched the numbers. If you have access to a referral then lock that in now if you were planning on grabbing a new World of Hyatt card. The 50,000 point offer comes out slightly ahead and gives you more time to earn the free night certificate.