Discount Airline Tickets – TAP Portugal 25% Off On New Routes
Here’s a look at the current promotion for discount airline tickets TAP Portugal is running. The deal covers their new routes, which launch later in 2020. We’ll look at the offer, key terms, and a comparison of buying vs redeeming miles on these routes.
TAP Portugal New Routes
TAP Portugal’s main hub is in the capital of Lisbon, though it does have smaller hubs in Faro and Porto. At the beginning of 2020, they announced several new destinations with direct service to Lisbon LIS airport:
- Cancun, Mexico (starting October 30, 2020)
- Cape Town, South Africa (starting November 11, 2020)
- Maceio, Brazil (starting October 2, 2020)
- Montreal, Canada (starting August 1, 2020)
Despite the havoc COVID-19 has created in the travel world, TAP has not altered its plans for the new routes. They also took delivery of new A321neo and A330neo aircraft, which serve these new routes. They even have free internet for all customers on these aircraft.
Discount Airline Tickets – TAP Portugal 25% Off Sale
From June 24 – July 8, 2020 (Portugal time), TAP is offering a 25% off on new routes, as well as 2 others. In addition to routes between the above 4 destinations and Lisbon, Portugal, the deal also includes Ponta Delgada PDL in the Azores to Toronto or Ponta Delgada to Boston. Here are the terms of the deal (full terms here):
- The discount applies to the base fare and the carrier surcharge (YQ);
- The discount is not valid for Discount and Top Executive brands;
- The offer cannot be combined with any other ongoing offer or campaign;
- This offer is subject to seat and fare availability;
- The offer is personal and non-transferable and requires the acceptance of these terms and conditions for the use of the Promo Code;
- Waiting lists are not allowed;
- Ticket validity extension not allowed.
- Use the promo code NEWROUTE
Note that there is also a blackout period from December 19, 2020-January 10, 2021. Different routes start and end at different times in the sale period, so check the full terms.
I wasn’t impressed and thought this was a joke. Then, I changed to searching from other countries. If I change my location to South Africa (top right of TAP home page), the discount actually works. Now, it means something.
Comparison To Using Miles
What’s the value of this sale? Is it worth buying, instead of using miles? Here are the 2 cheapest options for using miles with Star Alliance partners.
- ANA – 65,000 miles round-trip for economy
- United – 80,000 miles round-trip for economy
- ANA – 104,000 miles round-trip for business class
- Air Canada Aeroplan – 150,000 miles round-trip for business class
Cents per mile
What’s the cents per mile value on booking with miles, instead of paying cash? Here’s a breakdown (based off finding discounts through the South Africa version of TAP website, charged in ZAR currency):
- ANA economy – 1.8 cents per mile
- United economy – 1.5 cents per mile
- ANA business class – 1.6 cents per mile
- Aeroplan business class – 1.1 cents per mile
I don’t find any of those particularly attractive, but the ANA economy class option is decent value against this fare. If you can afford it, the cash option seems like better value here. You can save your points and miles for times when the fare is more expensive or when the value proposition is better.
I was more excited about this when I first saw it than I am after preliminary searches for flights. The code doesn’t seem to work when I’m on the US or Brazilian version of TAP’s site. People are reporting on numerous blogs and chat channels that they’re having difficulty with finding the sale fares / making the discount code work. It could also be that the sale price becomes harder to find as the sale goes on, because they’re only selling x number of discounted seats on any given flight. Searching from the South Africa version of the site was more useful.
This sale can work for some, if you find a good price. If the value proposition against using your miles is good, pay with cash. You’ll earn miles, which credit to numerous partners (check your options here). TAP also allows for stopovers in Portugal, and you’ll be asked if you want one when searching for flights. This can add value to the booking, if you look at this from the prospective of 2 vacations.
Are you planning to book anything with this deal? Did you book anything already? Let us know!