New Offers for Amex Platinum and Gold Cards with Extra $300 Credit for Dining
American Express currently has improved the welcome offers for the Platinum and Gold cards by adding up to $300 in dining credits. Whether dining in, carrying out or ordering delivery, you can now earn up to $250 back with the American Express® Gold Card and up to $300 back with The Platinum Card®. That is in addition to the regular welcome offer, and the Membership Rewards® points and other benefits for purchases at restaurants. Let’s see the details for these new offers.
American Express Gold Card
- Receive 20% back as a statement credit when you make a purchase at restaurants worldwide with The American Express® Gold Card within the first 12 months of Card Membership, up to $250 back.
- PLUS, earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Annual Fee: $250 (not waived)
- 4X Membership Rewards points at U.S. Restaurants
- 4X Membership Rewards points at U.S. Supermarkets (on up to $25,000 in purchases annually)
- A new $120 dining credit which gives enrolled Card Members up to $10 per month in statement credits when they use their Card at eligible dining partners including participating Shake Shack locations, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House and Grubhub/Seamless
- 3X Membership Rewards points on flights booked directly with airlines and amextravel.com
- $100 airline fee credit: up to $100 in statement credits per year for incidental expenses like baggage fees at one selected airline
- The Hotel Collection: Gold Card Members get a $75 hotel credit on qualifying charges, plus a room upgrade upon check-in, when available, when they book a stay of at least two consecutive nights at hotels in the collection
- Personalized Travel Service: provides access to a team of Travel Professionals who can help with travel bookings and vacation packages across air, hotels, transportation, cruise and tour
American Express Platinum Card
- Receive 20% back as a statement credit when you make a purchase at restaurants worldwide with The American Express® Platinum Card within the first 12 months of Card Membership, up to $300 back.
- PLUS, earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $6,000 on eligible purchases with your new card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Annual Fee: $550 (not waived)
- 5X MR points on airfare booked directly with airlines or through Amex Travel
- 5X MR points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com
- 1X MR points on all other purchases
- $200 in annual Uber savings
- $200 airline fee credit
- $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue
- Fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Precheck: Receive one Global Entry ($100) statement credit or one TSA Precheck ($85) statement credit
- Access to over 1,000+ airport lounges, including The Centurion lounge, Delta Sky Clubs, Airspace Lounges and Priority Pass Select membership
- Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status
- Hilton Honors Gold Status
- Unlimited Boingo internet access
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Platinum Card Concierge available 24/7 to help with anything from special dinner reservations to finding the perfect gift. Simply call the number on the back of your Card and say “Concierge”.
The 35K and 60K welcome offers are what we usually see publicly for these cards. But with these new offers you can also get an additional $250 in dining credits for the Gold Card and $300 for the Platinum card. This comes as 20% back as a statement credit, which means that you need to spend $1,250 or $1,500 respectively on dining to maximize it. If you do maximize the dining credit, then these offers get interesting, but are still not the best around.
Just recently for example we wrote about a 40K upgrade offer for the Gold Card. You can also find referral links for a 50K welcome offer and you get the referral bonus as well. For the Platinum Card you should first check here for a possible 100K welcome offer. You can also find offers for 75K through referrals and again, add the referral bonus to that, which can be up to another 25K.
These new offers add additional dining credit, up to $300. But I think you should try the other avenues mentioned above to see if you can do even better. Membership Rewards points are valued at least 1.5¢ each so a good referral bonus can make a big difference.
Let us know what you think!