Amex Business Platinum Changes: New & Increased Credits Plus A Higher Annual Fee
After the recent Amex Platinum refresh and annual fee increase we wondered if something similar would happen with the Amex Business Platinum card to match. It appears American Express is following a similar pattern with the Amex Platinum’s sister business card. They now have the most expensive business coupon book to go along with their personal card’s coupon book. Let’s take a look at the Amex Business Platinum changes and the new annual fee.
Update 1/10/22: Just a few days left before the annual fee on the Amex Business Platinum card increases. There are some 140K/150K offers floating around too.
Amex Business Platinum Changes Details
Here are the details on the new earning structure, credits and increased annual fee.
- 5X Points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com
- 1.5x Membership Rewards® points earned on purchases for up to $2 million per calendar year across new categories that include:
- Electronics goods, retailers, software, and cloud service providers
- Construction materials and hardware supplies
- Shipping providers
- Earn 1.5x points earned on large purchases over $5,000
- Earn 1X on everything else
New / Increased Credits
- Dell Technologies:
- Up to $400 annual statement credit on all Dell purchases, up to $200 semi-annually. This is a $200 increase from the existing Dell benefit for Business Platinum Card Members.
- Up to $360 annual statement credit on all Indeed hiring and recruiting products and services to post open positions and find top talent, up to $90 per quarter.
- $150 annual statement credit on select purchases, including Adobe Creative Cloud, the world’s best collection of creative apps and services, and Acrobat Pro DC with e-sign, which makes it easy to send, track and collect trusted e-signatures.
- Wireless Credit:
- Up to $120 annual statement credits for purchases made directly from any US wireless telephone provider, up to $10 per month.
- Expedited Security Screening:
- An annual $179 statement credit for a CLEAR membership.
Existing Platinum Benefits
- $200 Airline Fee Credit annually for up to $200 back in statement credits each year on incidental fees at one Card Member-selected qualifying airline.
- 35% points back when Card Members pay with points to purchase all or part of an airline fare (up to 500,000 points back per calendar year)
- Cell Phone Protection for repair or replacement costs following damage or theft up to $800 per claim, with a limit of two approved claims per 12 month period, when the cell phone line is listed on a wireless bill and the prior month’s wireless bill was paid by an Eligible Card Account. A $50 deductible will apply to each approved claim.
- Up to $100 credit on a Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® application fee.
Increased Annual Fee
The annual fee will be increasing from $595 a year to $695 starting on or after January 13, 2022.
Amex Business Platinum Changes – Final Thoughts
While I am not a fan of these increasingly more and more expensive coupon books at least these additions make some sense compared to Walmart+ etc. I like that they increased a current credit in Dell this time around versus adding new stuff like with the personal card. Those 2 x $100 increase more than offsets the $100 increase in annual fee. The wireless credit should offer most everyone $100+ in value as well. Adobe and Indeed could be very valuable to some and will be completely worthless to others. If you can use either of those two then you are coming out way ahead.
I have to say that I like these changes a lot more than the personal Amex Platinum changes. What do you think of the new Amex Business Platinum changes?