Amex Platinum Upgrade Offer
We all know Amex has been aggressive. It has mostly been on the business side of things, I even had 7 no lifetime language offers at one time. It looks like the personal card side wants in on the action. When logged into my wife’s Amex account a pop up came up for a pretty amazing Amex Platinum upgrade offer. This was on her Amex Gold card. Let’s take a look at the offer.
Update 4/12/22: More people have been targeted for these offers. Some are 25K and 5X on $15K in spend. Others for 75K and 5X on $15K offers etc. Check you Amex Offers area and emails.
Update 2/3/22: I have been getting reports of more people getting this offer and a 75K plus 5X upgrade offer.
Amex Platinum Upgrade Offer Details
The offer is as follows:
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $6,000 within the first 6 months.
- Earn a $150 statement credit after spending $6,000 within the first 6 months.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards points at restaurants and US Supermarkets on up to $25,000 in combined spend in the first 6 months.
- Annual fee of $695
My jaw hit the floor when I saw this offer. Getting 100K points plus the chance of earning up to an additional 125,000 points is great. This is also the first time I can remember seeing a statement credit for the Amex Platinum card. I am guessing that is because of the recent annual fee increase.
The current new account Resy welcome offer on the Amex Platinum is better with a 125K welcome offer plus 15X earning on restaurants and small businesses. Having said that, I can not remember a better upgrade offer on the card though.
Amex Platinum Earning Structure
After upgrading the card my wife will get the following earning structure, in addition to the limited time categories:
- 5X Membership Rewards on flights booked directly with the airline
- On up to $500K in spend per calendar year
- 5X Membership Rewards on prepaid hotels via Amex Travel
- 1X Membership Rewards on everything else
Amex Platinum Card Perks
The Amex Platinum card comes with a ton of perks. That is what helped make it the best of the premium cards in our latest rankings. It has over 40 unique perks, which you can check out here, but here are a few of my favorites:
- $200 Annual Uber Credit + Uber VIP Status: Our Guide to Amex Platinum Uber Credit
- $15 a month plus a $20 bonus in December
- $200 Annual Airline Fee Credit: See Complete Guide to Maximizing Your Travel Credits
- $200 Annual Hotel Credit: On prepaid bookings at Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection properties made through American Express Travel
- $179 CLEAR Credit: Annual statement credit for a CLEAR membership
- $100 Annual Saks Department Store Credit: How to Use the $100 Saks Credit
- Centurion Lounge Access
- Priority Pass Membership
- Does not include Priority Pass restaurant access
After I picked up my jaw off the floor I grabbed this offer lickety-split. If you see it in your account grab it because these things sometimes disappear after seeing it that first time. The offer is tough to beat with a 100K points, a $150 statement credit and 5X earning on restaurants and US grocery stores (which surpasses the Amex Gold’s 4X). Hopefully this Amex Platinum upgrade offer is pretty widely targeted. Even though myself and my wife are back in Amex pop-up purgatory we are still able to rack up points because of offers like this and the no lifetime offers. Oh yeah, and the ton of authorized user offers popping up all over the place.