Targeted Bonuses for Adding Authorized Users to Amex Cards
American Express has brought back a generous offer for adding Authorized Users to credit card accounts. These offers are sent by mail, email or show up online when you log into your accounts. Let’s take a look at the offers.
Update 4/1/21: Chris posted in the Miles to Memories Facebook Group that he was targeted for the 20K offer via email.
When you share the perks of Platinum Membership, everyone benefits. Add your spouse, employee or child (13+) to your account as another Additional Card Member, and you’ll earn more Membership Rewards® points on their eligible purchases.1 Meanwhile, they can get more from their journeys with the Platinum Card’s suite of travel benefits.
- Add an additional cardholder and you will earn 20,000 points when they spend $2,000 on their card within the first 6 months.
- Offer ends September 7, 2021
- Maximum bonus is 20,000 points.
The annual fee for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards is $175. Each Additional Platinum Card after the first 3 Cards is $175. You also have the option to add Additional Gold Cards to your account for no annual fee. Note: Additional Gold Card benefits vary from above.
- Additional Card Members must be added all at once.
- Points will be posted to the Basic Card Member’s account within 8–12 weeks after an Additional Card Member makes required purchases.
- Your purchases as the Basic Card Member will not count toward the $500 spend requirement.
- The Additional Card Member’s Social Security Number and Date of Birth are not required to submit this request. However, this information must be provided by you or the Additional Card Member within 60 days after the Card is issued, or the Additional Card will be canceled.
They make it sound like you can earn multiple bonuses for multiple authorized users, like it has worked in the past, but since the cap is 20K you can only earn it once. This is a pretty great offer though and it is like getting 10X earning on $2,000 in spend. I would add them as a Gold card member to avoid the fee, unless they will use the Platinum perks. If you add the Platinum card it is probably worth adding two others since the fee is the same. Remember that adding an Authorized User will count against their Chase 5/24 count as long as the card is open.
I would suggest completing spending requirement with organic spend. American Express has been getting much tougher on bonuses and rewards earned with cash equivalent purchases.
Please let us know if you were targeted for this or any other offers.