How To Load Your American Express Bluebird At A Walmart MoneyCenter Kiosk
This post discusses how to load funds onto your American Express Bluebird card. If you don’t yet have a Bluebird, you can either get one at Walmart or on the Bluebird website. In my experience it takes about a week to receive your Bluebird card in the mail when ordering online.
When applying for the card they will ask for your social security number, but they do not run your credit. There is a limit of 1 Bluebird/Amex Serve per person. If you are new to Bluebird or have questions about it, visit our Guide To Bluebird.
Note: If you are loading a Visa or Mastercard gift card, make sure to set the card’s pin number before visiting Walmart. Every gift card issuer has a different process for setting the pin. The documentation for setting the pin should be included in the card’s packaging.
Loading Your Bluebird
1. This is the main screen of the Walmart MoneyCenter Express Kiosk. While there is a Bluebird button, I have found that it doesn’t always work. To start, touch the “Walmart MoneyCard” button that sits on the top left beneath “Card Services”.
2. On the next screen you want to tap the “Reload” button.
3. This next screen just informs you of how much you can load onto the Bluebird card at any given time. Just tap “Continue” here.
4. When the next screen comes up it is time to swipe your Bluebird on the pinpad. The pinpad is located below the screen and looks like a typical credit card reader that you find at a Walmart checkout counter. (The kiosks use older readers so the Walmart registers in your store may have a newer model.) After swiping, the terminal will automatically bring you to the next screen.
5. This next screen is asking how much money you would like to load onto your Bluebird. You can only load one Visa or Mastercard gift card at a time on the kiosk, so I suggest you load the entire amount of your card. In this example, I will be loading a $100 gift card. After entering in the amount you would like to load hit “Enter”.
6. This is an interim screen that comes up after you input the amount. It usually takes 30 seconds, but can take up to two minutes for the next screen to come up. You don’t have to do anything during this time.
7. After the authorizing is complete, a screen with your load amount will appear. As you can see, it now has my $100 Debit Load listed with a total charge of $100. After you verify everything is correct, hit the “Finish & Pay” button.
8. Now the kiosk would like to know how you are going to pay the $100 that will be loaded on to your Bluebird. Simply hit “Debit” here. (Sorry for the blurry photo.)
9. You have now arrived on the Finish & Pay Screen. At this point you will swipe your debit or gift card on the pinpad. Once the card is swiped, the kiosk will automatically bring you to the next screen.
10. After the card is swiped, you must enter your card’s pin number on the pinpad. If it is your normal debit card, then use your ATM pin. If you are using a Visa or Mastercard gift card, you must look at the documentation to find out how to set the pin. Each provider’s method of setting the pin is slightly different. Make sure to do this before you go to Walmart.
11. After the pin is entered, the kiosk will ask if you want any cash back. Make sure to tap “No”.
12. Now the kiosk simply wants you to confirm the amount. As you can see, it is correctly showing that $100 will be loaded on to the Bluebird. When you are ready hit “Ok”.
13. The “Processing Card” screen will take the most amount of time. Usually it will take between 1-2 minutes to fully process the transaction. Basically the machine is charging your debit/gift card and then loading the funds onto the Bluebird. You don’t have to do anything here but wait!
14. When everything is complete you will get this final screen. As you can see the kiosk now says there is $0 cash due and $100 paid. This means that the transaction went through. Make sure to take the printed receipt to verify your Bluebird balance has updated.
That is a complete walkthrough of the process including all of the screens that you will encounter. In my experience it takes about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes to complete one load if the machine is working properly. On occasion the machine can be laggy and the process can take longer.
Since you can only load one gift card at a time, it can become very tedious, but it helps you avoid dealing directly with cashiers. I have found that some cashiers will not load gift cards on to Bluebird and many aren’t very familiar with the process. If you do find a good cashier, they can split the tender on up to four cards which makes the process quicker. Enjoy!
Capital One Venture X Business earns 2X miles on everyday purchases plus up to 10X in bonus categories. You also get access to Capital One lounges plus an annual travel credit & anniversary bonus. Right now you earn bonus_miles_full.
Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.