American Express Business Platinum Benefits Guide
The Business Platinum Card from American Express is a premium travel card geared toward business owners and full of benefits. Some of the benefits overlap with the personal card, but several are different and deserve a guide to highlight the differences between the personal card and the Business Platinum Card.
The Business Platinum Card earns Membership Rewards Points. Welcome offers for new cardholders have hit all-time highs over the past year, up to 150,000 points. In our Business Platinum benefits guide, we’ll cover the perks, which require enrollment in advance, and how to use the perks to maximize the value of your card.
Amex Business Platinum Benefits Guide: Overview
The Amex Business Platinum Card is full of so many benefits that it merits a guide to what they are, how to use them, and any pertinent information you need to know. For any of the perks we’ve covered individually, links are provided to places where you can read more.
At present, the annual fee is $595 a year. For applications on or after January 13, 2022, the fee will increase to $695 a year.
If you are able to maximize all of the credits, this will offset the fee or even make it a negative-cost card for you. Additionally, we always recommend calling when the annual fee is due for a retention offer. Read the data points on recent retention calls here.
The Business Platinum Card earns Membership Rewards points, which are extremely valuable. We even have a guide on them here – American Express Membership Rewards Points Guide: Including Best Ways to Earn and Redeem Rewards Points.
- 5x points on hotels and airfare booked at AmexTravel.com
- 1.5x points in the following categories (capped at $2 million per calendar year across the categories):
- Electronics goods, retailers, software, and cloud service providers
- Construction materials and hardware supplies
- Shipping providers
- Earn 1.5x points earned on large purchases over $5,000
- Earn 1x on everything else
First, American Express added new perks in October 2021:
- Dell Technologies – Up to $400 annual statement credit on all Dell purchases, up to $200 semi-annually. This is a $200 increase from the existing Dell benefit for Business Platinum Card Members. Here are some ideas on how to use the credit.
- Indeed – Up to $360 annual statement credit on all Indeed hiring and recruiting products and services to post open positions and find top talent, up to $90 per quarter.
- Adobe – $150 annual statement credit on select purchases, including Adobe Creative Cloud, the world’s best collection of creative apps and services, and Acrobat Pro DC with e-sign, which makes it easy to send, track and collect trusted e-signatures.
- Wireless Credit – Up to $120 annual statement credits for purchases made directly from any US wireless telephone provider, up to $10 per month.
- Expedited Security Screening – An annual $179 statement credit for a CLEAR membership. Here’s how to sign up and enroll.
That’s on top of the perks the Business Platinum Card already had:
- $200 Airline Fee Credit – up to $200 back in statement credits each year on incidental fees at your preferred airline (must select in advance).
- 35% points back – pay with points to purchase all or part of an airline fare (up to 500,000 points back per calendar year) and get 35% of your points back. The purchase must be first class or business class (any airline) or with your preferred airline (any cabin).
- Cell Phone Protection – covers repair or replacement costs following damage or theft up to $800 per claim, with a limit of two approved claims per 12 month period, when the cell phone line is listed on a wireless bill and the prior month’s wireless bill was paid by an Eligible Card Account. A $50 deductible will apply to each approved claim.
- Up to $100 credit – on a Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® application fee.
Amex offers can save you a ton of money and are a great way to get extra cash back or Membership Rewards points at a huge selection of retailers. Click here for Amex Offers we’ve posted about in detail.
American Express Global Lounge Collection
You can find full details in these related posts:
- Amex Centurion Lounge Locations – Where They Are & How To Find Them
- How Centurion Lounge Access Works for Platinum Cardholders
- Priority Pass Select Membership (bring 2 guests at no additional fee): Guide: Priority Pass Select Membership Including How to Get it and Details on How to Use it.
Lounge Collection Programs and Partners
See details on the official page, highlighting access to these lounges:
- The Centurion Lounge
- International American Express Lounges
- Delta SkyClub when flying Delta
- Priority Pass Select*
- Escape Lounges
- Airspace Lounges
- Lufthansa Lounges in Munich and Frankfurt when traveling on Lufthansa, Swiss, and Austrian
- Eurostar Business Premier Lounges at St Pancras International, Paris Gare du Nord, Brussels Midi/Zuid, and Ebbsfleet International
- Virgin Australia Lounges when flying Virgin
The Fine Hotels & Resorts program is a collection of luxury hotels that give you awesome perks for booking through Amex Travel.
- Room upgrade upon arrival, when available
- Daily breakfast for two people
- Guaranteed 4pm late check-out
- Noon check-in, when available
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Unique amenity valued at US$100, such as a spa or food and beverage credit
Guide to Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts Collection. Note that there is not a $200 statement credit (the personal card has this), just access to the bookings and benefits.
Premium Private Jet Program
Receive a 20% discount on Wheels Up Connect and a 40% discount on Wheels Up Core memberships. Plus, get a $500 or $2,000 credit added to your Wheels Up account to use toward your initial flight within your first year, depending on membership type. For more information, visit here.
When you search the Amex travel portal for airfare you will often see something called “Insider Fares,” which give you a discount on flight prices if you pay the full cost in points. I have seen these deals on Alaska, Delta and American flights, though I assume there are other airlines included.
Business Platinum Travel Service
Elite Loyalty Status
Marriott Gold Status
- 50% bonus on eligible spend
- 4p.m. late checkout, subject to availability
- Upgrade to an enhanced room at check-in — corner room, higher floor, or better view.
- See all benefits here.
Hilton Honors Gold Status
- Room Upgrades
- Free Breakfast
- Bonus earnings and more.
- See all benefits here.
Rental Car Elite Status
Complimentary memberships for you, including special upgrades and savings, in premium car rental programs of Avis, Hertz, and National Car Rental. See our guide on obtaining elite status with multiple rental car companies.
Shopping Benefits & Protections
Not to be understated, the American Express Business Platinum Card offers several protections and benefits when shopping. For a comparison of some popular cards with shopping benefits: Complete Guide to Credit Card Shopping Benefits
Amex will extend the manufacturer’s warranty of 5 years or less for an additional 12 months.
Protect eligible purchases made on your Card when they’re accidentally damaged, stolen, or lost, for up to 90 days from the date of purchase.
Unlock reservations at exclusive restaurants and dining experiences. You need to create an account with Resy to use this benefit.
For any fraudulent purchases on your card, American Express will work with you to remove it from your card and not hold you financially responsible. Terms apply.
American Express added trip delay insurance to many of their premium cards in January of 2020. This will come in handy if you book a flight to earn the 5X Membership Rewards. If you flight is delayed by 6 hours or more you will now have some protections.
If you’re more than 100 miles from home and run into an emergency, American Express may be able to help. They can provide 24/7 medical, legal, financial or other select emergency coordination and assistance services, but you may bear costs in some situations.
You can be covered for eligible lost, damaged, or stolen baggage when you purchase the entire fare for a Common Carrier ticket (e.g. plane, train, ship or bus) on your eligible Card.
When you use your eligible card to reserve and pay for the entire eligible vehicle rental and decline the collision damage waiver at the rental car counter, you can be covered if the car is damaged or stolen.
Cash Flow Benefits
Pay Over Time
No Preset Spending Limit
Amex Business Platinum Benefits Guide: Final Thoughts
As you can see, the Business Platinum Card from American Express has a ton of benefits–so many that they merit a guide. Depending on your needs, expenses, and travel style, the card may very well be worth the $595 (or soon $695) annual fee.
If you decide to apply, make sure to check for increased welcome offers, which we always cover. Aside from the numerous perks that come inherent with the card, one of the best things about the card is earning Membership Rewards. Their flexibility makes them extremely valuable to have. Remember to read our separate guide: American Express Membership Rewards Points Guide: Including Best Ways to Earn and Redeem Rewards Points.
Capital One Venture X Business earns 2X miles on everyday purchases plus up to 10X in bonus categories. You also get access to Capital One lounges plus an annual travel credit & anniversary bonus. Right now you earn bonus_miles_full.
Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.